Martes, Abril 23, 2013

"My Life In A Call Center"



      I've been working in call center industry for more than a year already. Prior to that, I never imagined myself working in such field. My relatives discouraged me, pointing out the negative sides (health declining, ear infections, etc.). It might be true - to some. But this never discourage me at all - luckily, I got the job. But just like the rest I experienced the ups and down in this industry.

     I remember one time, swearing myself not to ever stepped foot in call center business again (after failing in my first call center experienced). I was not happy at all. Though my salary exceeds the minimum rate for ordinary employees, still it don't satisfy me. The environment was no longer healthy for me. Then I came to realize that no matter how much I get to paid, no matter how pressure the job is, no matter how "irate" the customer is - I definitely don't care! All I want is a friendly-working environment. Though you'll get a lot of situations where you'll be arguing to "most" of your customers, it won't matter. Just think of it that they don't know you. They don't see you. On a latter run, you'll get used to it as an everyday situation. What matters is before and after shift, you'll get to bond with your teammates. Your happy with your working environment cause these are the people that you get to mingle with everyday - see face to face and chat with all the problems you've encountered within the day.

    So much for reminiscing he he.  Now let's talk about what makes call center agent "different" to an ordinary employee. Here's my list (feel free to comment so I can add it up as well and recognize you):


1. Zombies - funny I'm not pertaining to dead people eating humans' brain. Rather, call center agents are like zombies. We get a life at night time and spend sleeping at daytime :). Some may have a hard time adjusting to this kind of schedule - at first. But they'll get used to it somehow. I'm just lucky cause I never had the adjustment needed. My body gets used to it right away.

2. Morning drinkers - the usual thing is people have fun and go partying at night. Well not for us. Mostly, call center agents get a drink of one or two (or even more lol) during daytime. Isn't it kinda weird? Ha ha.

3. Wearing jacket even it's hot - yeah you read it right! Jackets are not just worn during cold times. Since we are working at night, we always carry something we can wear against the cold. Call center companies are always under centralized air conditioned, it's not for us employees but rather for the computers. And right after shift, some are tired or didn't even bother to take their jackets off. So if you've seen someone wearing jacket under the heat of the sun...hmm...you guess it right, they're mostly working in call centers.

4. Sunglasses - just like #3 sunglasses are worn to protect our eyes against too much sunlight...and yeah for those with sore eyes (ha ha). Anyway since I started working in this industry, it became my habit to wear sunglasses especially when I'm heading home. It help me cover my drowsy eyes from the public. Sometimes too it hides me from them from sleeping lol :).

5. Great taking short naps - some people hate to take short naps. They feel more drowsy after, gets lazy, and some complains they get head aches afterwards. Well what can I say? We are great short nappers (is there ever such a word? ha ha). What I mean is that we do appreciate getting sleep even if it's just for 30 mins. It free us for awhile from the demands of our work and gets our eyes to sleep and rest away against the radiation coming from computers. But one thing to remember, make sure not to overslept or you might find yourself waking up the next day! Kidding :)

6. "Socialite" - this is one thing I hate most on what people do think of "us". They thought we can afford to buy expensive stuff and that money is flowing :(. Though it's flattering, its still annoying somehow. Yes its definitely true that we earn much more than an ordinary employee especially for just start ups. We spend. Have fun with friends. Party and so on. But our life doesn't just revolve on those things. This might be true for some - to those who just spend their money all by themselves. In my case, I have a family to feed and siblings to send to school. That makes it worth living.

7. Smokers - I'm not talking in general but mostly, call center agents do smoke. I don't smoke let me tell you.  I hate cigarettes. Anyway, I ask my workmates as to why they smoke. I don't know if it's reasonable enough but they say it lessen stress. Hmm what ya' think?    

8. English speakers - it's a "must". We talk with Americans, British, or other Europeans. It's a must that we should know how to speak the universal language. It's the only way we can understand each other. Accent should be neutral but sometimes on the latter run, you'll get to adapt even their accent. Anyone could be good at this, you just have to be confident and practice some more.

9. Work, work, work - yes that's one thing we differ from other employees. We get to work during holidays or even in any circumstances such as calamities. But despite of it, we're looking forward on this occasions since its "double pay" (yahoo can't wait for the next pay out ha ha).

10.  "Unusual" words - hmm its just like with any other courses or jobs. We have our own vocabularies and term of words that we are only familiar with. Such words I encounter in this industry are irate (customers who are so mad and keeps on "fu*****" you over the phone ha ha), TL (it means team leader and not the usual true love abbreviation lol), queuing (waiting calls in line which makes me stress argh) and a few others.


     These are the few things that makes up my life in a call center. Being in this business is not permanent. Your standing in the company depends on how well you perform your job. Much worse, you might ended up in call center hopping.


     







Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento